With the recent bankruptcy filed by Detroit, I realized that it is a major city that has been run entirely by Democrats since 1962. So, what happens when the Democrats run a major U.S. city without substantive opposition?
I think that you will notice a disturbing trend (or two).
The first thing we will have to do is identify a list of major U.S. cities that the Democrats have controlled for an extended period of time. So, here we go –
- Detroit – Democrat since 1962
- Chicago – Democrat since the 1931
- Philadelphia – Democrat since 1952
- Baltimore – Democrat since 1967
- Buffalo – Democrat since 1954
- Los Angeles – Democrat since 1993
- Atlanta – Democrat since 1942 (based on party identification)
- Memphis – Has never had a Republican mayor
- Providence – Democrat since 1984
- Hartford – Democrat since 1971
- Louisville – Democrat since 1969
- Miami – Has never had a Republican Mayor
- Cleveland – Democrat since 1989
- Cincinnati – Democrat since 1984 (Hey, they elected Jerry Springer once. Yes, that Jerry Springer.)
So, 14 cities to give us a representative sample of what happens when Democrats run a city with no opposition.
Let’s start with the unemployment rate. From the BLS, the unemployment rate for each of these cities as of May 2013 from highest to lowest –
- Memphis – 9.5%
- Providence – 9.3%
- Chicago – 9.1%
- Detroit – 9.0%
- Los Angeles – 8.3%
- Atlanta – 8.2%
- Hartford – 8.1%
- Philadelphia – 8.0%
- Louisville – 7.9%
- Baltimore – 7.3%
- Buffalo – 7.3%
- Miami – 7.3%
- Cincinnati – 6.8%
- Cleveland – 6.7%
With the current national unemployment rate at 7.6%, only five of these cities would come in under that number. The average unemployment rate for these 14 cities is 8.1%. The party that says they help the disadvantaged cannot even keep them employed. (To be honest, these numbers are typically lower than reality because not all unemployed persons actually count as such.)
Welcome to these Liberal Utopias!! It will only get better from here. (Yes, that is sarcasm.)
Moving onto the crime rates. From CNN Money, the most dangerous cities in the U.S.
- #1 Detroit – Crime index* of 4.71 and a murder rate of 48.2 per 100,000 people
- #2 St. Louis – Democrat since 1949
- #3 Oakland – Democrat since 1966
- #4 Cleveland – Crime index of 3.09 and a murder rate of 18.6 per 100,000 people
- #5 New Orleans – Democrat since 1946 (with the last identified Republican in 1872)
- #6 Newark – Democrat since 1953
- #7 Atlanta – Crime index of 2.66 and a murder rate of 20.7 per 100,000 people
- #8 Baltimore – Crime index of 2.61 and a murder rate of 31.3 per 100,000 people
- #9 Memphis – Crime index of 2.28 and a murder rate of 17.9 per 100,000 people
- #10 Kansas City – Democrat since 1991
*The crime index is a weighted average of six crime categories murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, and motor vehicle theft. The national rate is 1 and any number higher than that indicates a higher than average incidence of crime.
Man, the hits just keep on coming!! These liberal utopias are so peaceful, safe, and wonderful places to live – don’t you think?
Moving onto average median household income (based on an average of 2007-2011 numbers) just to see if the Democrats can hit the trifecta –
- National Average — $52,762
- Detroit – $27,862
- Chicago – $47,371 (Don’t forget the inflated teachers’ union salaries)
- Philadelphia – $36,957
- Baltimore – $40,100
- Buffalo – $30,230
- Los Angeles – $50,028 (which includes Hollywood)
- Atlanta – $45,946
- Memphis – $37,072
- Providence – $38,922
- Hartford – $29,107
- Louisville – $43,680 (This includes Jefferson County.)
- Miami – $30,270
- Cleveland – $27,470
- Cincinnati – $34,104
A couple of things to think about here –
- Not a single city was above the national average.
- Since Democrats are for increases in the number of public sector employees, wonder what would happen if those numbers were taken out of these totals?
So, with the Democrats in control and unopposed, I am unemployed, poor, and highly likely to be the victim of murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, and motor vehicle theft. And with Obama in office, do you really think things will change?
Maybe the mouse should buy his own cookies.